Sunday, January 1, 2012

Really very good

would she choose popcorn, or the raw cauliflower instead


One way I sometimes ease into raw eating is with heated sauces. I'll tell myself I can heat the sauce, but not what it goes on. This is how I avoided making popcorn tonight, for munching through the second half of "Mrs. Miniver". Instead, I grated raw cauliflower and topped it with melted butter (yes!), "Movie Theater Butter" salt and a little nutritional yeast. Not bad! Chato was pretty much totally into it.

I've noticed, when I go raw, that it can help me resist temptation and keep to 3 raw deals a day, to make multiple-deal batches of stuff. Like making too much "popcorn" tonight, so there'll be more for tomorrow.

I did it with another dish tonight, which was such fun to discover, I just have to share the recipe. Anything else wouldn't be right.

It's basically my mother's "Shoyu Chicken Wings" marinade, but with mushroom pieces instead of chicken wings.

Shoyu Mushroom Wings

maybe 2/3 cup tamari
maybe 2/3 inch ginger, grated
maybe 1 fat garlic clove, grated
maybe 1 green onion, chopped
probably 1 tbsp cooking oil (olive's fine)
maybe 1/2 tsp honey (raw's best, of course)
couple dry chili peppers if you like a little heat

Mix it all up and dissolve the honey. Chop up a couple portabello mushrooms, or maybe 6 medium sized mushrooms, and stir into the marinade so everyone gets wet. Marinate a couple hours, covered, in the fridge, stirring a couple times so everyone gets a relatively even soak. Do drain before eating. This can be a little salty, so might be good surrounded by something contrasty.











whozzose sessy shoyu mushroom wing and red bell peppers on the corner of this porch?

No comments:

Post a Comment