Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Getting some ironing done

So I soaked a cup or so of brown lentils for about 24 hours in water at room temperature and drained them this morning. I tasted them and they're sweet, soft, just slightly crisp (but no "al dente" feeling, just watery-crisp, like lettuce or something). I don't want to sprout them! I just want to use them like cooked lentils, and revel in how foods can also "cook" in water, with no energy/electricity/gas expended!

I can't find much online yet about eating a legume at this stage (before a sprout appears but after soaking), or I'd give you a link, I'm sorry. But try it and let me know what you think!

(One neat thing about sprouted lentils is they're a good source of iron and aren't missing any amino acids...apparently when you cook them they lose two of those.)

No comments:

Post a Comment